Mission of this blog:
Launched in June 2012, IYA aims to empower youth bloggers from diverse faith and non-faith backgrounds to explore current affairs, national & international issues, music, art etc…through an interfaith lens. This unique blog platform invests in youth bloggers ages 13-18 to connect with their community through interfaith engagement, dialogue, and service projects, which leads to a broader interfaith understanding beyond the virtual site. IYA also welcomes guest posts from young adults ages 18-35!
IYA was founded by Sana Saeed, a young adult and interfaith professional in Washington DC- and initially intended to be a platform for her to share her projects/trainings working with youth in interfaith engagement across the U.S. After hearing from youth, she realized that there isn’t a virtual platform providing space for the voices of youth on issues happening in their communities or nationally solely from an interfaith perspective. Hence, IYA morphed into a platform for interfaith youth voices, after Saeed received funding to engage youth bloggers 13-18 on the blog.
Goals of the blog:
- The Interfaith Youth Activist blog will showcase youth and young adults of diverse faith backgrounds as well as secular identities.
- IYA will aim to be a on-going virtual interfaith space for global youth and young adult voices.
- IYA will continue to feature and highlight Saeed’s work to connect youth (teens to young adults) in the interfaith movement.
- The IYA blog will be a venue where those who may be underrepresented in the interfaith field may offer their voice, including but not limited to: people of color, various sexual orientations, and those without labels (nones).
Format of Blog:
IYA blog will feature weekly and daily posts, videos, art etc…by Sana Saeed, selected Youth Bloggers and Guest Young Adult Authors.
We understand the need to invest in youth economically. Youth today are burdened with many extra-curricular activities, service projects, and volunteer work- while all of these components are important for youth experiences; IYA understands that youth should be given ownership & responsibility in a paid capacity for their unique/creative contributions to this blog.
Topics/Areas IYA will explore (this list isn’t set in stone):
- Current news on religious liberty, religious freedom, misuse of politics in the news or elections
- Youth development
- Youth culture
- Youth entrepreneurship
- Spirituality or personal experiences with faith or non-faith (e.g.: Journey of an Atheist Interfaith Activist)
- Youth leadership
- Interfaith events happening locally and nationally
- Climate change (water rights, sustainable energy use, solar power, etc…)
- Human rights issues in the U.S. & around the world
- Social justice from an interfaith lens (example stuff like anti-racism, immigration rights, affordable housing, anti-discrimination etc…)
- Women’s issues
- LGBT youth
- Highlighting off the beaten path topics like comic books, music, art etc…
- Pitch us a topic you’d like to focus on!
Everything Sana Saeed, youth and others write about on this blog are our own personal opinions and have nothing what-so-ever to do with any of the organizations we work with or represent.